Wednesday 11 December 2013

Out of the Shadows

I talked last week about three heroines - this week it's three heroes. Ahhah, I hear you say. Now we're getting to it. This is the good stuff. Well, yes, to a point.

Problem is, I have trouble with heroes. As I've mentioned in previous posts, the kind of men I write about are a secretive bunch - comes with the sort of work they do. It takes a lot to get them out of the shadows and I have to say I've not succeeded yet with this lot. They all work for the same hush-hush intelligence organisation and are not that keen on talking about it. I just have to keep chipping away at it. I'm still not even fixed on names, but they'll have to own up to something when the books start to be written.  This is what I have so far.

They haven't arranged themselves so neatly over hair colour as the girls - I have one very dark and two kind of brown/chestnut type. They are all tall and rangy, with broad shoulder. I insist on that. It's one of my quirks.

Hero One - I'm getting a name with an 'L' so it could be Lucas or Logan - He's the one with dark hair and when the book opens it's in need of cutting. He's on the island recuperating from an assignment that went badly wrong, leaving him physically scarred and uncertain of what actually happened, although it hasn't shaken his confidence in his abilities. Self contained and aloof, he doesn't want to get dragged into whatever mystery Sarah has brought with her to the island - but of course, he can't help himself.

Alexander - Lex - his hair is long and curly. A kidnap survivor who is a bit of a mess emotionally but who is working through what happened to him.The jeans and sweater type, he does a lot of walking on the beach. And somehow finds himself drawn into Leonie's project of renovating a garden on the island. Well, he can't let her move all those rocks and barrows of soil alone, can he?

Kelvert - first name probably Tom, is the admin type. Short hair, favours suits. He's the one who keeps the back office running, nags about expenses, looks down his rather elegant nose at the others lame claims not to understand his office systems. (He's right, of course.) He loved a girl once, who broke his heart, so he's not going there again. He's not meant to be a field officer, but he has all the skills that the others have, and he's not about to let them get into trouble if he can help it. It generates too much paperwork.

So  - three very different men. Now I have to get them to play nice and work with me (and their ladies) on their stories.

Did someone mention herding cats?

No comments:

Post a Comment