Wednesday 29 January 2014

Do what you love?

It's still January - just - so there is plenty of advice still knocking around about sticking to your New Year resolutions. And heaps of uplifting encouragement about work/life balance and doing what you love. I'm lucky, I have the choice of how I spend my time - mostly. Even so, the kitchen floor does not wash itself, the rubbish won't bag itself into Recycling and Other and the refrigerator persists in becoming empty and requiring refilling, particularly when I have been at home, working and eating things. 


Time to sit in the garden
 would be nice too
but not in this weather.


All this excitement aside, I have a different problem -I think it might be classed as a life/life one. How do you balance doing two things you love? Six months before I was offered my first book contract I had one of those now or never moments and signed on to study for my PhD - something that had been on the Bucket List, for decades. It's hard work, but I love it. Then, of course, my writing career finally happened and now I am a published author. And that's the balance. I have research and all that entails for my studies, but I also have all these stories buzzing around in my head. In my head is fine, but getting them out, writing them down, going through the process of edits and publication. Hah!

But I really love them both. So - I have to find a way of making time to do both. I'm working on it. I know what I need. I need a plan ...

2 comments:

  1. I suppose you look at it as a good problem to have! I look on housework as distinctly more optional these days :)
    Angela Britnell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on the optional housework - unfortunately the house hasn't yet got the message. :)

      Delete