I like to read and write romantic suspense, and lately some of the lighter holiday style stuff too - although it always has a crime in it.
But what about the other stuff? The small things?
I found myself making a list again.
- Food - you know that already
- Art - usually stealing it, but art is art, right?
- Old buildings - anything from castles to churches to standing stones - or maybe standing stones should be a category on their own?
- Trains - you knew that too.
- Sunny places.
- Galleries and museums
- Hotels and restaurants
- Books - and bookshops. And libraries.
- Clothes - and shoes.
- Plays and theatrical stuff. And theatres.
- Magic and illusions
- The sea and the beach.
- Spooky places - although I don't actually like them, except in my imagination, to write about.
Some of those would make a plot of a book, some are incidentals - helping with the atmosphere. Could I make a book with all of them in? Maybe.
I think it might turn out to be one of those exercises where you try to get a word like supercalifragilisticexpialidocious into a report for work. All right, yes, it can be done But why?
I can guarantee that some of them will be in future books, Because that's what I like.
And there's no point in writing if you don't enjoy it.