Wednesday 21 February 2018

The next book - maybe

I've spent the last few days disentangling part of the first draft of what I hope will be the next Riviera Rogues book - I say hope, because I'm also at the cold feet stage wondering if the Choc-lit tasting panel will like it (All right, what I'm actually saying is 'Do you really think you are going to get away with this one?' Really?)

Danger - manuscript in progress
It's got quite a complex plot (By complex, do I really mean complicated? Really?) It's an Ocean's Eleven type scenario with a group of friends getting together to take down a con artist. When you see those plots in films, the bit where they are organising the sting is usually a montage of members of the gang doing mysterious stuff, all of which becomes clear at the end. In a book people have to sit down and talk about it. (Is this bit boring? Really?) I do think I've ironed out the parts where disbelief wasn't so much suspended as dangled head first over a bottomless chasm, so that's a plus. I also seem to have a mystery involving my hero's parents which I don't remember writing (the joys of anaesthesia) and am pretty sure I have not resolved. It will be interesting to see if I did.  I'm not sure that the villain isn't too nasty for a light romantic comedy - but everyone likes to hiss a villain, don't they. (Do they? Really?)

On the plus side I got to spend more time with Cassie and Jake from Summer in San Remo. Considering that they both come out of my head, the chemistry between them is very confusing - I love writing them, and once they are talking, I have  a problem shutting them up. The new hero and heroine, Nadine and Ryan are different - more reserved. Ryan is more insecure that my usual male leads, but he has a very strong protective streak - a knight in shining armour, and quite cute with it. Nadine is a few years older than he is, a very successful business woman and a widow, so she has to convince him that she doesn't always need him to protect her and can stand on her own feet, although a shoulder to lean on is also very welcome on occasion. I think he's getting the message. Slowly.

It's set in Bath and then on the Riviera, naturally - the area around Nice. There's a old farm house in the hills where Nadine and Ryan get to spend some time and a gorgeous villa where the wedding is arranged to take place. Did I mention that the whole thing revolves around a wedding? At the moment it's called A Wedding on the Riviera, but that will probably change.

That's if it make it past the selection panel.  Writing about it here has made me a bit more hopeful. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment