|A bouquet for the New Year.
But a change of year does give you hope - that things might be different, that in the months to come maybe, just maybe ... (Fill in whatever is top of your wish list here.). Close to the top of mine is getting back to writing regularly. Hmmm. The problem is always time - a scarce commodity. The 'day job' takes up a lot, and I do like to sleep, which takes a chunk of the day.
So, while this is not a resolution as such, I thought I'd make a list of all the things that divert me in the average day, with an idea that I might be able to get more control over them, Don't ask me how, but knowing the enemy is supposed to be helpful.
Bet you recognise a few of these.
1 The Internet. Everyone's favourite time black hole. All those cute kittens ... And keeping up with social media. And my in box ...
2 Research. Now this one is OK, to a point. but it can be a place to hide. It's fine line.
3. Washing up. I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time with my hands in soapy water.
4. Cooking. The cause of 3 above. I don't bake, but I do like to eat and then there's all that peeling and chopping ...
5. Reading. This is an addiction. I know. But I'm miserable if I don't have a book on the go.
6. Housework. Not high on the list of things I do, but very high on the list of pet hates.
7. Shopping. Relates to 4. If you don't count shoe shops.
8. House maintenance. Climbing ladders to replace light bulbs and stuff. And hanging out washing. They've not made a machine for that yet.
9. Recycling - another thing that seems to take an inordinate amount of time. And dangerous - did I tell you how I broke my arm...
10. Gardening. Another thing that I enjoy, but also involves a lot of maintenance stuff.
So - these are the things I will be looking at in 2016 to see if Something Can Be Done.