Wednesday, 29 July 2026

Evolving language

 Probably the most famous creator of new words, word combinations and phrases was Shakespeare. He's credited with nearly 2,000 new words. 

Changes in language still go on. One has happened to my knowledge in the last few years. And it is one that drives me mad. 

When I was in school - yes, dinosaurs prowled the playground - spelling and grammar was still formally taught. I was always hopeless at spelling, and still am - I've often wondered if there was a bit of dyslexia going on - thank heaven for the spell checker. I always say that my terrible handwriting is to disguise my spelling, but actually it is probably the product of years of note taking, in work and academia, so it has degenerated into a system of hieroglyphics. I was okay with grammar though, which is why the new use of the phrase about boredom - to be bored of something makes me grumpy. It's bored with, people. The new way is like nails on a blackboard - and I doubt if that is something heard much in the classroom these days either.

Sadly, for my blood pressure, bored of seems to have become common usage and it doesn't look as if the old usage is going to be coming back.

I'm not above breaking the rules. One of my favourites is never starting a sentence with And, But or Because. I shatter that one frequently. But I do try not to end a sentence with a preposition, although that is another one that gets bent in common usage, and not doing it can sound a bit weird, especially in dialogue, which is a whole different ball game. 

The world moves on. It appears that what I spent time learning in school can now be done  for you by Artificial Intelligence, but I must say that I do value the time that an excellent English teacher took to teach me the rules. Tools of my trade.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment