Wednesday 9 September 2020

Are you ready for the most fabulous wedding?

Save the date! A Wedding on the Riviera is out on 22nd September. That's just under two weeks time. Time to buy a new hat. And you will need one, because this is a very upmarket wedding.


There's the venue for a start - an amazing Art Deco Villa in the South of France, with stunning flower filled terraces leading down to the sea and even  it's own chapel. And with Cassie from Summer in San Remo doing the organising, and husband Jake picking up the bills, you know it is going to be unbelievably OTT.

As you might have guessed, I had a ball inventing the wedding for the book. Lots of research, to find out all the details that I might include. That was hard work, of course, but authors have to make sacrifices for their readers...

Then, as a gloss on top, I added anything else that I could think of to make it truly spectacular. Flowers, music, scents, food - it was a blast. A harpist, a string quartet, a specially created fragrance, masses of orchids and roses... I got to help Nadine pick out her wedding dress too. At Cassie's prompting she chose something slightly unusual, and I really enjoyed writing that scene.

As a genre, women's commercial fiction has lots of books that feature weddings. Often all the preparation is a time of tension, family feuds, bridezillas. I didn't have to cope with any of that. No stressed bride, fractious bridesmaids and interfering mother and mother in law.

If I wanted a cake covered in edible flowers, like the one I saw a few years ago in the craft tent at the Hampton Court Flower Show, I could have it. The wedding is initially part of the sting operation that is the plot of the novel, the means to trap a con man. But then... Well, you'll have to read the book to find out.




I don't think you will be disappointed. I had such fun creating my wedding on the Riviera, and I hope that fun comes across in the writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment