Wednesday 19 January 2022

A Wedding on the Riviera - out now in paperback

 

It's been a long time coming, but A Wedding on the Riviera , the second in the Riviera series, is out now as a paperback - available from all good bookshops. If you are thinking of ordering it might I suggest getting it from your local independent bookstore? Local businesses need our support in these troubled times.

The picture is the rather battered box of author copies that arrived in the last days of 2021. There is a story to that too. They were meant to have been delivered on 17th December, but something went wrong and I didn't get them. The courier eventually sorted it out and the box  arrived, looking a little travel-worn. It reminded me of the parcels we used to get from my aunt in America when I was a kid. They were always exciting. I remember one memorable year the parcel contained a 'Midge' doll. She was Barbie's best friend, and my aunt, who absolutely loved prowling around the 'doll' section of the stores, chose her because with freckles and flicked up blonde hair she thought she was "cuter" than Barbie. I was really a little bit too old for dolls, but the attraction was the clothes - I particularly loved the ball gowns and cocktail dresses but she had everything from rainwear with umbrella and wellingtons to fancy lurex jumpsuits. Outfits usually had hats and gloves. That was correct dress in those days - think Jackie Kennedy. Being older I was very careful with tiny shoes, and jewelry and was able to dress her and stand her on my dressing table - she came with a stand. It paid off much later too, when she was the star of a toy auction at Christies.

How did I digress? The books arrived and I was rather worried over the state of the box, but the contents was fine - very classy copies with the name of the book and my name embossed. There is nothing to beat holding a copy of your book in your hand. It doesn't matter if it is the first book, or the fifth. Or probably the fiftieth - not sure I will make that milestone, but all I can do is work towards it. 





No comments:

Post a Comment