Wednesday 9 February 2022

Writers in their Ivory Towers?

 
Writing is essentially a solitary occupation. Possibly because of this writing retreats, where a group of writers, sometimes friends, sometimes strangers gathered together by particular tutors or venues, are popular  - or at least they were before the pandemic. I'm sure they will bloom again when we achieve normality. The object of the exercise is to have a block of time away from routine to get work done, the support of other writers and often freedom from domestic chores. I've often thought I'd like to do a retreat - either on my own, which is also useful for getting work done, or in a group. I never got round to it pre-pandemic - blame the doctorate - but it is on my bucket list. Of course another constraint to doing a retreat is paying for it - getaways don't come cheap, especially the very enticing ones that take  place abroad. 


So can it be done without leaving home? The answer is - yes. The Cariad Chapter of the Romantic Novelists' Association did a virtual retreat last week. Heroically organised by Jessie we assembled on Zoom at 9am, noon and 5pm to set goals and report progress. Admittedly some were still in their pyjamas for the first session - well, alright, I admit that was me. But they were a very posh holiday pair especially worn for the occasion. Some people were only able to come to part of the day due to other commitments and if you wanted feeding and watering  it was down to you - I got myself a fancy ready meal so I didn't have to do too much. 

The big thing was - it worked. It was lovely checking in with everyone to find out how they were doing. My morning was hijacked by some unavoidable admin stuff, but in the afternoon I got back into the WIP which had been languishing due to house repairs and other excitements and worked my way over a sticky bit that has opened up the way to the next section. I wasn't the only one - everyone seemed to get something out of it, even members  of the chapter who were not able to be there have said since that they did something useful on the day. Quite a number who had been a bit stuck, or circling around a project found that the time and support helped them break through. 

So - it was fun, it was a success - hopefully it will result in the appearance of a number of books in due course. And of course now we all want to do it again! 

(And of course the picture isn't an ivory tower - it's Castell Coch.) 

12 comments:

  1. Great post, Evonne. And thanks to Jessie and many others, it all came together very well. And you've got me now hovering on the verge of ordering some satin pyjamas...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine came from Their Nibs. They have some really crazy prints - pumas, stags, herons ...

      Delete
  2. I loved the day. You summed it up very well, Evonne. I dipped in and out but managed to get a lot done. Knowing there were others doing the same offered a comradeship. Thanks so much for letting me join in with Cariad, despite not having a drop of Welsh blood in my veins. What a lovely bunch you are. So welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet again, something I missed with this brilliant group - sighing with envy. Yet doesn't Evonne say it all? When good and loyal writers and friends get together to help and encourage one another with their work, anything can be achieved. Well done all. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we will do it again, so hope you can be there.

      Delete
  4. I'd love to join in another of your sessions. I'll keep my eyes peeled . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic idea, Yvonne, thanks for sharing. Off to suggest this to the Scottish Chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies for miss-spelling your name, Evonne. I was in too much of a rush, which is no excuse!!

      Delete
    2. It was the phenomenal Jessie who had the idea and got us all organised. It was a great idea and a lovely day. I hope you have fun if you decide to do it.

      Delete