Wednesday 2 February 2022

How many dreams can you have come true?

 It took me a very long time to make it as a published author. When I finally did, my debut novel won the RNA Joan Hessayon Award for newly published authors graduating from the New Writers' Scheme. It was a dream come true and one I'd almost given up on ever achieving. 

More books - and life - happened. I'm six books in now, although it could be more, except that those life events, and a little thing called a PhD intervened. The PhD was another dream, one that I signed on for when I thought I was never going to make it as a writer - well, you can guess what happened ...

The doctorate was something that I could control, with hard work and application - although it took a lot longer than it was supposed to - life again.  But once I was published, I moved on to another dream. I dreamed about becoming a finalist in the Romantic Novelists' Association RONA Awards. Another one that seemed almost unobtainable. But if you don't have dreams then life is very blank - and you have to have something to aim for ...

Then this happened.



I've had this secret since the middle of January, but yesterday it was announced - I am a finalist for the RNA Joan Collins Romantic Thriller Award. 

Will I win? Who knows? I'm in competition with some fabulous authors.

I do know this - even if I don't win, it is a thrill and an honour just to be nominated.

Dreams do come true more than once. 



No comments:

Post a Comment