Wednesday 28 August 2024

Life of a romance writer?

 This week I thought it might be fun to think about what an author actually does with her time. This author, in fact. 

So what have I done this past week? 

Well, one day was spent in Herford with a group of like minded writers catching up on news and life in general. Gossip, giggles, exchange of experiences, commiserations over rejections, professional support and general bookish chat. Cake and lunch were involved and as I managed to catch an earlier train, because it was late (are you with me?) there may have been a sneaky bacon butty in Morrison's cafe on the way to the theatre where the meetings are held. It was an enjoyable if tiring day. 

There has been the usual social media and e-mail stuff, including fixing another writerly get together later in the year, a research trip to Birmingham, and admin connected to some future personal appearances. Watch this space. Some time was spent on searching for the script of the book trailer that I scribbled down on the train the week before last. I did not find it. I hope it will turn up in due course in whatever safe place I have stashed it. 

I spent a couple of happy hours looking at weddings a Chelsea Old Town Hall. Lots of snazzy photos of brides, grooms and guests, confetti explosions and a good gawp at the venue rooms available from large halls to intimate spaces seating only a handful of people. And don't get me started on the rabbit hole of  the rich and famous who have married there, including the wedding that didn't happen. If you have an idle moment or sixty and like weddings, have a google,  This was RESEARCH for the wedding of a secondary character in the WIP. It may eventually only occupy a line or two in the book, but the devil is in the detail. 

And writing? Oh yes, there has been a bit of that. This week I have been inhabiting the mind of a serial killer. An interesting place to be, if not always comfortable. I think it is a thread I ought to included in the new book, but it has to be married to the romance in the right way, Much grittier than I have been writing lately and stretching a bit, but good for the writing muscles.  I'm working on the principle of getting it down and then seeing what I have got. 

A bit like writing a blog post. 

Oh, and I did that too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment