Wednesday 21 August 2024

Romantic Novelists' Association Conference 2024

 Let's get this clear from the outset. I had a really good time. 

This year's conference was at Royal Holloway, University of London - which is actually in leafy Egham. It is a sprawling campus - much puffing and groaning between venues - with a very fancy set of gothic buildings at its centre. 

The weekend was hot, the food was good, the accommodation studentish but comfortable - I was not in the block with a dead lift and dodgy lights - the company excellent. 

I went to some enthralling if slightly scary talks on various techy topics - Artificial Intelligence, keywords, self publishing - and now know more than I did about all of them. I'm looking forward to putting all that learning into practice. I particularly enjoyed a talk on making book trailers. I used to do that for my books years ago. Apparently this time around they can be used for Facebook adverts and for some quick book plotting. I had a go at that on the train home - about 20 words for about 30 seconds of air time. I now know a bit more about the WIP and have found out that is a slightly different book from the one I thought I was writing - all good. 

Lots of friends had good appointments with agents and editors and were asked for full manuscripts. Fingers crossed that stuff happens for them. Imogen, my fellow Cariad Chapter member did not win the Joan Hessayan trophy- sad about that as I would have liked to see another Cariad's name on the cup. Quite a lot of the group were featured in the shortlist for the Elizabeth Gouge trophy,  though, which is awarded for a conference based contest set by the Chairperson, which shows what a talented group we have with Georgia Hill coming second.  

There was a barbeque in the Quad, a quiz, a disco and a lot of giggling and gossip - what you might expect if 200 odd romantic novelists get together. Yes, alright, some of us are very odd. 

I didn't take any pictures so I shamelessly stole this one from Sue McDonagh.  As usual I am gurning at the camera. It's a good one of Sue and Jan though,


Photo stolen from Sue Mc Donagh

I say again  - I had a really good time, 

Only sadness is having to wait two years before doing it again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment