Wednesday 9 October 2024

The Hidden Garden - Plas Cadnant

The last post about my North Wales holiday. And this visit definitely qualifies as research. It was unexpected. I knew there was a garden on the schedule for the last day of the tour, but I had no idea that it would be a perfect inspiration for the garden I am creating for the WIP. On the Isle of Anglesey, overlooking the Menai Strait, Plas Cadnant has been reclaimed from an overgrown state and it is lovely - and exactly what I envisaged for the garden I am trying to create, a coastal setting with series of different moods - formal and much wilder. 

 I have a thing for writing gardens in my books, and happily readers also seem to like them. I have a half realised idea for a derelict garden sometime in the future, but the one in the current WIP is far from that. I have created a whole back story for it, and its past owners, which may not even make it into the book, except as passing references, but I have had so much enjoyment from imagining it. And now I know what parts of it  might look like. My creation has a stumpery, a number of follies and a lot of sculpture so it will be different, but I now have a reference point that I know is real. I took a ton of pictures. These are some of them. 


Topiary - there will definitely be topiary


Formal - and very pretty



A pond and a river god, lurking in an alcove. 
I'm thinking more on the lines of the green man -
or maybe Cernunnos, the horned god from Celtic mythology. 


Another pool lower in the garden - down a steep and rather scary path.
But I made it! 


One of the wilder areas. 



More wildness




Back to the formality and sunshine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment