Wednesday, 12 August 2026

RNA Conference Part II

 Last week I began the account of a great weekend at the Romantic Novelists' Association conference. 

Saturday - the main day of the event - I began with two more appointments with agents. Very productive, encouraging and confidence building. Now I have to put what I learned into practice. I missed the first two sessions but made it to the AGM - all the business of the Association and a celebration of volunteers and retiring board members and officers. Author Carrie Elks was welcomed in as president, replacing Sue Moorcroft who had done a great job for three years. Everyone wished them both well. 

After lunch I went to a session on Instagram. Most of it went over my head, but one day i hope to make a start with it, so some bits might surface again. The last slot of the day was taken by Orna Ross from the Alliance of Independent Authors all about book data. Interesting, but limited in scope if you are with a traditional publisher without access to your statistics. If I ever self publish I will be joining the Alliance for sure. 

The gala evening began with me squirming my way into my jazzy summer jump suit. Sadly I can't get into my favourite green one! There was a barbeque in the grounds of the impressive Founders' Building and a disco that attracted a number of my colleagues. I was content to stay in the bar and gossip. 

On Sunday I enjoyed a talk from academics from Birmingham University on an in depth study on romantic fiction. Fascinating and catnip to a fellow academic. After a talk by some recent winners of the Joan Hessayan Award, which I won over a decade ago, there was a session I was really looking forward to - a talk on self editing from KJ Charles, an author I really admire, a former editor and an entertaining speaker. I learned a lot and have already pre-ordered the book on editing she is bringing out later in the year. Then lunch and that was the end. Goodbyes, a train trip into Waterloo and a quick stagger to a nearby Premier inn, where I sat down on the bed and dozed for the rest of the evening. The trip home the next day was a marathon, line side fires and melting rails. I set out at 11.30 at Paddington and got home at 5 pm, but all in all it was a very happy weekend.

Oh - and that quote, about wine and toilet rolls. Apparently they are the two things the university noted that they had to stock up on for this second visit of the RNA to Royal Holloway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment