As part of my recent trip to the RNA Conference I spent a few extra days in London. It was incredibly hot but that didn't stop me enjoying the city, from a mooch around the sales in Oxford Street, to a concert in St Martin's in the Fields - a favourite church and concert venue that's not been near a field in a long time. A few things I did made think of some of the quirkier aspects of the city, and some of the things that I like to do when I am there.
Bridges. Over the Thames. Always good to walk across one. In this case it was the Hungerford Bridge, from Charing Cross to the South Bank, although I think the pedestrian parts are now Golden Jubilee Bridges, but I still think in older names. Being over the water it was a little cooler, one of the London Universities was having its graduations in the Festival Hall, which made for some interesting proud family groups and the view of the skyline of the city and the skyscrapers around St Paul's is second to none.
The South Bank - a favourite since I lived in London and went frequently to the National Theatre. The theatre is an excellent place to meet, hang out or, on one memorable occasion, have a nap between an all day conference and a theatre performance. Places to eat, bars, loos, a bookshop, people watching... What more can you want? I also discovered that there is a set of steps alongside the Festival Hall that currently plays you a tune as you walk on them. A bit of a shock, until I cottoned on. In the evening on the way back from the concert I enjoyed the Carnival atmosphere of stalls and food trucks around the Eye.
Fish and Chip Shops I usually manage one meal of fish and chips when I'm in town, because the standard is good and on the whole it is a more economical option than many other eating places. I have favourites in Paddington, Waterloo and Covent Garden.
Occult bookshops. Three favourites, Watkins in Covent Garden, Treadwells in Store Street and Atlantis in Museum Street. I like to browse - the amazing variety of tarot cards which I find fascinating, sometimes mind boggling, and books on folklore subjects which are useful for research, especially those relating to Welsh and Celtic traditions which I am using for background for future books, like the WIP, set in Wales.
And also I simply enjoy wandering and looking - people, shops, blue plaques, pubs with fabulous floral displays, tour busses - including the afternoon tea and the ghost bus - unexpected Georgian Squares, luxury hotels, streets full of theatres, mysterious alleyways, probably best not explored after dark, all sorts of boats on the river, street performers. This time I saw one of the driverless cars being trailed on the streets for use as taxi cabs. Not sure how keen I would be - if it was completely without human involvement, but there seems to be a 'safety driver' so I'm not sure. Don't think I will be giving up on the traditional black cabs any time soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment