|One of my favourite things to find in a book. Food!|
2. Food. Preparing it and eating it. I love descriptions of cooking and eating. And that's an opportunity for a shameless plug, as Choclit have an anthology of short stories out called Kisses and Cupcakes. With recipes.
Kisses and Cupcakes buy here on Amazon
3. Art. I'm definitely drawn to books with painting, sculpture, etc. Usually someone stealing them!
4. Gardens - creating them, restoring them,walking in them.
5. Interesting occupations - I'm always open to learning about jewelry making, or glass painting or micro brewing, or whatever, Provided it's not over done. I don't need to know everyhting that the writer knows on the subject.
7. Buildings - stately homes, small hotels, coffee shops, a B&B on the beach. I'm a push-over too for those stories about people renovating old buildings.
8. Amusing and/or intelligent animals.
9. History - but I'm a bit picky about that, Academic stuff is the 'day job', so I prefer the more frivolous kind in my escapist reading - swash buckling stuff. Yes, I know I'm a lightweight.
10 A happy ending. If I've made it to the end of the book, I want something positive at the conclusion.
That's my list. I don't think I'd ever score all of them in one book, but three or four and I'm a very happy reader.