Wednesday 2 March 2022

By This Time Next Week

 It's getting closer. 


The winners of the Romantic Novelists' Association awards will be announced at an event on 7th March, so by this time next week we will know. 

Am I expecting to win? Hoping - maybe. Expecting - really? No. The competition is fierce , with some incredibly talented and successful authors in the list, several of whom are also friends. I have loved being a finalist. It is amazing to know that readers enjoyed your work and to have recognition from your professional organisation. It is a dream come true and one that I really never expected to have, although you do always hope. 

Whatever happens it will be a fabulous night - not least because I will be seeing friends and fellow authors who I haven't seen for years - you all know why that is! 

The big question of the moment is - of course - what are you going to wear? My mum was a professional dressmaker and I would like to wear something she made me. I have a wonderful dress, floor length and covered in sequins, that was made for a romance convention ball in America. Everyone in my 'team'  is urging me to choose that one, but I really think it is a bit OTT for an early evening function, however swish. I have another dress which I wore when I won the Joan Hessayon Award - short and svelte - well, when I get the scaffolding underneath organised. Even after ten years it still fits, although it is a little more snug these days. It's easier to breath in than the sequins. I think that will be the one. 

Whatever the choice, and win or lose, it will be a memorable night. 




2 comments: