Wednesday, 16 September 2026

Creating the creepy house

 Regular readers will know that the WIP is leaning into the gothic. and if you have ever seen any vintage gothic romance covers you will know that it is obligatory for the heroine to be running away from the creepy house, or possible castle. Whatever the building, it looms, or lurks, or broods, or all three. It is night. She is wearing a white dress, or her nightie, maybe with a coak. In a storm, or a high wind. Down steps, cliffs or through woods/gardens. Occasionally there is a single lighted window in the house/castle. Very occasionally there may be a cat. 

So - from all that you will deduce that I have to have A BUILDING. I'm not planning on Nel running away from it in her nightie, but there definitely has to be a structure. 

This is the project for the week. I already know that it will be a Victorian Gothic Revival house, because it is a period of architecture that I love, it suits the story and it can certainly be made to appear creepy. Cardiff Castle and Castle Coch are big influences, mostly for the interiors. Now I am researching houses of the period and creating my own. Turrets, roofs like witches hats, pointed gables, tall arching windows, stone carving, tall chimneys, spiral stones like sugar canes. Maybe even a gargoyle or two.

The inside is going to be even more fun. Echoing halls, long mysterious corridors, wood panels, a library!

It has a name - The Scholars' House - and a location - the South Wales coast. So there can be cliffs. Maybe. At the moment it is taking shape. I'll report progress next week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment