Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Oxford trip

 Research can be very tiring - especially when it involves a day trip with there and back train journeys of nearly three hours each and two changes of train. My day out in Oxford was worth it though. I didn't set out at quite dark o'clock, but it was close. Changes going out were Cardiff Central and Swindon where I had time for a rather late second breakfast in a small but rather posh Starbucks located between the platforms. Once I got there I walked into town, found myself some lunch and then wandered in the sunshine soaking up atmosphere. The reason for the research is that my hero in the WIP is a tutor at Oxford, and I wanted to get some authentic vibes. Coming home was via Didcot, with a bag of crisps for my tea, but the journey went well, so all was fine. Home late, in the dark, tired but happy.

I was particularly delighted to find that Balliol College was open to the public that afternoon and with a self guiding map and a three pound admission ticket I was able to wander around for as long as I liked, picking up inspiration for the fictional college I am going to invent. It may be called St Baruc's. but I haven't decided yet. I'll need to do some in depth work to  confirm it is appropriate, but that is a job for another day. Last week I promised pictures. Here they are. I took lots to help my memory and planning. The layout, the colour of the stone, the shape of windows, the carvings, all useful. These are edited highlights. 



The first in a series of courtyards. Magnificent traditional flower borders. 





Ever get the feeling you're being watched? 


Mature trees within the grounds. I'm guessing they must be hundreds of years old. 
Just an idea of what the surrounding buildings looked like.


This was the gate to the Fellows' Garden.  I think the first sight of Logan in part two of the book will be in  my
equivalent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment