Today I am tired. I had a very productive trip to Oxford yesterday - a marathon for a day trip, but worth it as I got a lot of the information I need for the next bit of the WIP. Enough to be going on with, anyway. More about the trip in future posts when I have sorted out my photos. Yes - there will be pictures.
But today is the Equinox - also known as Mabon. The time when day and night are equally balanced. Happens twice a year, now, and in spring. I'm keener on the spring one as it means the journey is into the light, not away from it. But soon it will be Yule and the whole round begins again.
I'm interested in the various old festivals that mark the movement through the year. I've probably mentioned that I am hoping to use Beltane in the WIP. Halloween, or Samhain is coming next month, when I will be celebrating with fellow crime writers at an event at Cardiff Library. More of that later.
It may be one of those situations when a certain topic that attracts your attention comes up in repeated places, you know the ones, coincidence or simply that you are noticing., but it seem as if there may be a little more awareness at the moment of the wheel of the year - the name for the changing seasons. The Equinox was mentioned on Thought of the Day on Radio 4 this morning as a time of balance, which is a good way to think of it. I'm just wondering, hoping maybe, that we are getting closer to nature and back to old rhythms. When the world revolved around agriculture the festivals often marked significant points in the year, like the celebration of the growing season and then the harvest.
Now with awareness of climate change, the focus on attracting pollinators into our gardens, of the benefits of connecting with nature, maybe we are getting some of those old connections back, or attempting it. It is a nice thought.
No comments:
Post a Comment